It will cost you at least $800 more to become a Pharmacy Technician on July 1st, 2022
Preston Davis, CPhT – April 29th, 2022
Prior to July 1st, 2022
“If the pharmacy technician trainee was enrolled in the Board-approved training program prior to July 1, 2022, he or she must SIMPLY pass a national certification examination administered by PTCB or NHA and submit to the board documentation of enrollment in the Board-approved pharmacy technician training program and passing examination score.” – Virginia Board of Pharmacy FAQ
1) Pass our PTCB-Recognized Course – $250
2) Pass the PTCB Exam – $129
3) Submit application to the Virginia Board of Pharmacy – $25
Effective July 1, 2022
New Pharmacy Technician applicants must have completed an ASHP-Accredited Training Program
1) Pass an ASHP Accredited Course – $1100 – $4000
2) Pass the PTCB Exam – $129
3) Submit application to the board of pharmacy – $25
You CAN be grandfathered in!
Q: What if a registered pharmacy technician trainee is enrolled in a Board-approved distance learning program prior to 7/1/2022?
A: If the pharmacy technician trainee was enrolled in the Board-approved training program prior to July 1, 2022, the trainee must SIMPLY pass a national certification examination administered by PTCB or NHA and submit to the board documentation of enrollment in the Board-approved pharmacy technician training program and passing examination score.
Virginia Board of Pharmacy – Technician Training Program FAQs
Virginia State Specific Requirements until July 1st, 2022
The State Board of Pharmacy in Virginia requires that you have a Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Certification before gaining a license to work as a Pharmacy Technician. The Virginia Board of Pharmacy application is very straightforward.
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must have a high school diploma or GED
- You must not have been convicted of any felonies or drug-related misdemeanors
- Submit an application and application fee of $25
- You must obtain 5 continuing education units (CE’s or CEU’s) every year and renew online ($25 renewal fee) before December 31st of each year
- Effective January 3, 2021, emergency regulation 18VAC110-20-111 (C) requires anyone enrolled in a pharmacy technician training program and performing the duties of a pharmacy technician to hold registration as a pharmacy technician trainee.
- This is only applicable if you plan to begin work before passing the PTCB Exam, and subsequently, gaining your VA License
Richmond Metro Pharmacy Tech Salary: $17.40
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Requirements:
- You must have not been convicted of any felonies or drug related misdemeanors
- Study for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) with a Recognized Educator like RxTechExam.com
- Complete the application process at PTCB.org and include, as part of the application process, pay the exam fee of $129
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Continuing Education Requirements:
- Obtain 20 hours of Continuing Education (CE) during 2 year re-certification cycle
- 1 hour must be in Pharmacy Law, 1 hour must be in Patient Safety
- All Continuing Education must be Tech-Specific
- The PTCB Re-certification Fee is $40 and is payable to the PTCB every 2 years