Last updated: 8/23/22
South Carolina State Specific Requirements:
No application or fee is required to become State-Certified. To become a South Carolina
State-Certified Pharmacy Technician, applicants must:
- Register with the Board of Pharmacy
- Have a high school diploma or final transcript and/or GED
- Have passed the National exam for either PTCB or ExCPT
- Complete a pharmacy technician training program accredited by the American Society
of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) or recognized by PTCB
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Requirements:
Complete our PTCB-Recognized Education/Training Program or have over 500 hours of Pharmacy Technician experience. Complete the application process at PTCB.org and include, as part of the application process, pay the exam fee of $129.
South Carolina Average Pharmacy Technician Salary: $17.26
South Carolina Continuing Education Requirements:
- Before you are able to renew your registration each year, you must have completed ten (10) hours of ACPE
or CME category 1 continuing education.
- Pharmacy technicians are exempt from continuing education requirements while enrolled in a pharmacy
technician program, as well as during the first renewal period following successful completion of the program.
- Pharmacy technicians are exempt from continuing education requirements for the first renewal period following initial registration.
- Registrations are valid from July 1 through June 30th each year.
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Continuing Education Requirements:
- Obtain 20 hours of Continuing Education (CE) during 2 year re-certification cycle
- 1 hour must be in Pharmacy Law, 1 hour must be in Patient Safety
- All Continuing Education must be Tech-Specific
- The PTCB Re-certification Fee is $40 and is payable to the PTCB every 2 years