Alabama Pharmacy Tech Requirements
The way our course can help you, if you live in Alabama, is with the preparation for the PTCB Exam. Pharmacies are able to have a greater ratio of technicians with pharmacist for those technicians that are PTCB Certified.
The Alabama Board of Pharmacy requires that if there are more than 3 Pharmacy Technicians per Pharmacist, at least 1 of those 3 must be certified by the PTCB. Therefore, most employers will appreciate/require that you are PTCB Certified. After preparing for and passing the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE), you must register with the Alabama Board of Pharmacy by submitting a notarized application and application fee. The CE’s earned for the PTCB requirement can also be used for the Alabama state requirement.
How much do Pharmacy Technicians make in Alabama? $15.68/hr
Alabama State Specific Requirements
- You must be at least 17 years old
- You must have a high school diploma or GED
- Pass a criminal background check
- Submit a notarized application and application fee of $60 to the pharmacy board
- All technicians receiving their initial registration on or after January 1, 2020, shall complete a Board-approved training program within the first six months after their registration and submit evidence of completion to the board within 10 days of completion. The technician and the employing pharmacy shall keep documentation of this training for a period of two years from the completion of the training. The passage of a Board-recognized pharmacy technician certification examination shall be accepted as a training program. The training program shall be the responsibility of the technician and the pharmacy employing the technician.
Alabama Continuing Education Requirements
- Obtain 3 hours of continuing education with 1 hour being a “Live” credit hour each year
- Pay $60 every second year after initial application to the Alabama Board of Pharmacy to renew License
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Requirements:
- You must have not been convicted of any felonies or drug related misdemeanors
- Study for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE)
- Complete the application process at PTCB.org and include, as part of the application process, pay the exam fee of $129
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Continuing Education Requirements
- Obtain 20 hours of Continuing Education (CE) during 2 year re-certification cycle
- 1 hour must be in Pharmacy Law, 1 hour must be in Patient Safety
- All Continuing Education must be Tech-Specific
- The PTCB Re-certification Fee is $40 and is payable to the PTCB every 2 years